2/19/09

The M.R.S. Degree & A God Written Love Story

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart."

What you ask is the M.R.S. Degree? Well ladies, that is none other than the degree in which you go to college to find your Hubby. There are many women out there that go to college looking to find their happily ever after. Me? During those quick 4 years of my life, that was the furthest thing from my mind. Don't get me wrong... I dated quite a few "men" but I wanted to have fun, date around. Knock out all the kinks early so I knew the exact type of man that I would want to spend the rest of my life with.

Little did I know that all of the guys I dated then have now turned into temporary moments of happiness. I have given away parts of me that I can never get back. At the time, I thought I knew what I was doing. Now after reading the book When God Writes Your Love Story, I want to tell you all some of the wonderful things that God has placed on my heart to share...

I want to start off by sharing a quote from the book that I found quite funny. One of the authors Eric explains a night when he was 19 and wondered where his future wife was in this world...

"I pondered the fact that it was a Friday night and there was a full moon in the sky. I wondered if she was also looking at the moon and maybe even thinking of me. Everything was lovely. Then it hit me: She'd better not be with a guy!"

One of my favorite parts in the book was where they talk about living every day of your life for your spouse. Every day of my life? Wow. I hadn't even thought about the fact that I could be living for my husband without even knowing who he was at this very moment.

Too many woman become desperate. They are hungry for attention and affection, so they settle for guys who don't know the first thing about how to treat a woman. They are impatient - they don't trust that God could have something better for them. So they compromise. They give themselves to men who really aren't worth a second glance.

Sometimes in relationships, we can be so caught up in our feelings for the other person that we squeeze God into the background.

I've done this time and time again with past relationships. I wanted them to work so badly and I'd pray and pray about it and wonder where God was in all of this.

It became a confusing, emotional mess, and I wondered why God wasn't giving me more direction, when all the while if I had looked hard enough, He was there, wanting to be allowed back into first place in my heart. Through reading this book, I've come to understand that only when He is truly in first place are we ready for a God-written love story.

I now know that I need to learn to lean on my relationship with Christ for my hope, joy, and security, rather than trying to find those things in a romantic relationship.

Lord, this is such a hard area to give to You. I desperately want to hold on to it and do things my way. Yet I know You are asking me to lay it in Your hands, to let You take charge of it. So now I give it to You. No matter what you choose to do with this area of my life, even if it's something I never would have chosen for myself, I give it to You. Do with me what You will. I am Yours.

I think that every single "twenty something" lady who has ever had doubts about being alone, should pick this book up... I promise, it will change your life forever.

24 comments:

  1. What a great post, Amanda... it was very touching and i love that you are turning your attention back to God instead and trusting in Him. I definetly want to pick this book up, thanks for the heads up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I'll have to pick this book up or at least give it a look while i'm browsing books at B&N. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have NO IDEA how bad I needed that. I just went over my lunch hour to have a pity party for myself. I'm sure it will all be logged in my blog later on tonight but this entry hit me deep in my heart. I'm buying this book today after work. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  4. was this book and blog written exactly for me? haha! this hit home completly! although i've already found the man of my dreams....i spent way much time and effort on the unworthy ones.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I cannot wait to get this book! You are speaking directly to me! I have been an emotional wreck this past year. Being in college - searching for a guy that wants more than just a good time. I've dated a lot the past few years & I am ready for something more.

    My mom constantly reminds me to put God first in my life & everything will fall into place.
    Thank you so much for your post! You have no idea how it touched me. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this book when I was 16 and while I cannot say (and I'm not sure I'd want to say) that my fiance is the only person I've ever dated...the things I read in this book and others (eg. I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua Harris) definitely kept me motivated to stay pure and maintain boundaries...and to end a relationship when I knew he wasn't the one or when it wasn't God-glorifying!

    It's an amazing thing to find the person God has made perfectly for you. No matter how long your "wait" is--1 year or 15 years...it's so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I really needed to hear this today! I'm going to pick that book up for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post, and I can't wait to read the book. I have a few girlfriends who are subconciously chasing the MRS degree (as they refuse to admit it) and like you said - they become desperate, settle, and more often than not, end up with broken hearts. It breaks my heart to see it happen again and again.

    I've always been taught to let God take the reigns of any relationship but when I first started dating my boyfriend (now fiance), it was much easier said than done. Eventually after 3 seemingly years, our relationship suffered because we pushed God out of the equation. We thought we could do it on our own, but we realized that it wasn't possible to love and live for each other unless we put Him first. Recognizing that made a world of difference in our relationship.

    A God-written love story is so worth the wait. God has great things in store for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for checking out my blog..I just saw yours thru Mrs. Stilettos!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for visiting, I will be following you, This sounds like an interesting book, wish I knew about it ten years ago!!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely post! Trust me, you are so smart to figure this out in your 20s! Always remember ladies that there are three people in your relationships. You, your honey, and God. I like to think of it as a love triangle with God at the top of the triangle. The closer each of you get to Him, the closer you will be to each other. Thanks for visiting my blog. Hey - check out my new header that I'm about to post tonight. It looks very similar to your background but only by coincidence, I promise

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am ALWAYS looking for a good book! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your comments! I read this book too and I loved it. It definitely paints dating in a different light.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found your blog from Candace's - I just wanted to say that I love this book! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. going to b&n tonight to pick this up!! sounds about like my current situation (or lack there of) with the opposite sex. thanks for the advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll have to tell my little sissy about this one! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really loved this entry. It was amazingly heartfelt and sincere. Might show it to my boyfriend :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is one of my FAVORITE books! Have you read the rest of their books?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. saw u on one of my friends pages, just thought I'd say hey hehe. I'm kinda new to blogspot, still trying to get used to things here. I need some devotional stuff myself, hehe. i wish i could offer something.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post and thank you for the recommendation - I'm putting this book on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just found your blog, super cute, and I love this book! I read it in high school and was totally impacted by it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like your blog! I found it on p.s. I love you's blog! Very cute and I like your thoughts! Very true...about the settleing for less...Never do this! More self worth! Hoo-ha!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just found your blog! This is a wonderful post for all the single girls. I completely agree that you have to give it over to Him and it will happen. My husband and I actually met once a couple of years before we actually met. I firmly think we weren't ready for each other at that point. I wish I had read this book as a young woman.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails