2/9/09

Giiiirrl You Betta Work!

So, it's Monday... and I'm in work, with clearly a ton to do, so I thought I'd tell you about how I stumbled upon the best job I could've asked for...

For years I had no idea what God had planned for my career. There wasn't one thing that stood out that I really wanted for my life. Not until I got a call from a friend I used to work with when I was still at the University of South Carolina. He was in Hilton Head Island, SC for the Verizon Heritage Golf Tournament and they needed help the week of the tournament. I took off a week of school and headed down to Hilton Head for what was to be one of the best weeks of my life.

It was then I learned what my passion in life truly was, and that my fellow bloggers was... Events.

I spent the next few years being blessed with opportunities that the Lord had opened for me. I interned the next few years for the Player's Amateur Golf tournament in Hilton Head as well, and for Ober Onet & Associates in New York City.

Graduation was approaching and I had already applied to over what seemed like 200 Event Planning companies, but nothing felt right. I was offered a few dinky jobs with barely any pay, but knew I was worth more than that. Since I didn't have a job lined up for the upcoming summer and I knew that this was probably the last summer I would have to spend doing whatever I wanted, I decided that it would be fun to drive out to San Diego, CA for the summer and explore some opportunities there!

I know what you're thinking... that I'm crazy... but so what if I am!

My Navy Boy was stationed out in San Diego too... how convinient! : ) Ok, fine.. yes he was part of the reason I was considering heading out there, but I mean it's San Diego! Where could I go wrong? Somewhere between him telling me that he was going to "show me the clouds" and crossing my fingers for an internship or some sort of job at the Hotel Del Coronado, I was hooked! To make is even better, my best "guy" friend Brandon had agreed to drive across counrty with me! We had planned to stop in major cities and I was super stoked!

A week before I had planned to leave for San Diego, I got a message on my answering machine at home.

"Hi Amanda, this is Tracey. I got your information from Marc back in April, so I'm sorry I've neglected to call you, but I wanted to see if you'd like to come in for an interview."

Thoughts: You're kidding me, right? NOW I get a call? After my heart was set on San Diego? Greatttttt.

So, I did what I thought I should, which was go in for the interview and be completely honest. I told her that I was supposed to be leaving in a week, but if I felt like this was something worth staying home for that I would. She told me that she could gaurantee me work until August, so I was skeptical to even start a job like that if I wasn't sure it would last. Was a few weeks of working behind a desk just to put something else on my resume worth giving up San Diego for the summer?

That evening I got an email from Tracey offering me a full time job. I was shocked and to me, it was a no brainer. I accepted and have never looked back.

Since June, I have been traveling the country planning Pharmaceutical meetings. I've been to Nashville, Detroit, Indianapolis, Vegas, Kansas City, Dallas, Salt Lake City, and Boston! I feel very blessed to have the job that I do. Looking back to graduation and my worries and frustrations with not having a job, it's clear to me now that God was in control the entire time. No, I did not get to spend the summer with My Navy Boy, but I did start a career, one that I wouldn't change for the world.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I want to travel the world SOOO bad!!! I'm glad you love it!

    Annnnnnd...another award is waiting for you on my blog!

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails