5/28/09

Mamma Got a Brand New Whip!


So, I've been looking for a new car for a little while now. I own a 1998 Honda Accord with 147,500 miles on it. It still runs perfectly, but it's getting old. I was ready for a change.

I have this thing about electronics/cars. I buy something because of the way that it looks and performs of course but the look is what I am a sucker for!

I was looking for a specific car.... White 2004 or 2005 Honda Accord EX with tan leather interior/heated seats, sunroof and a V6 engine. And of course I wouldn't have complained with navigation either if it just so happened to be in the car :)

I've seen a few but for some reason this model, in these specific colors does not sit in inventory for very long. I've had some terrible experiences where I was told that the car I was interested in was available and I drove 2 hours to a dealership and the car wasn't there, only to sit in bumper to bumper traffic on the way home.

Let's not even go there.

My Dad and I drove out to Madison Honda or NJ last night. This dealership was a different experience to say the least. For starters... what was advertised was actually in their inventory! Who knew?! Funny how things work out like that, huh? They were some of the nicest people I've ever met... not pushy at all.

I went for about a 20 minute test drive. Went in, used my bargaining skills, which mind you, I've never used before... My Dad is a sucker for cars, so he sat back and let me work...

The car was offered for $13,999. I asked whats the best offer they could give me...

Sales Dude: (punching in numbers) The best we can do is probably $12,999.00.
Me: No, too high. I'll offer $11,500 cash.
Sales Dude: There is no way my Sales Manager will take that, but I'll try.

He came back with a no (obvi).

Sales Dude: So here's the deal, he'll take $12,600 but I can probably get him down to $12,500.
Me: Ok, I'll offer $11,750 and that's it.
Sales Dude: Haha, he's not going to take it and I don't want to waste your time or mine. Listen, I'll go in at $12,000 but just say yes. Actually, no, I'll go in there at $11,999 just because I know it's the phycological thing. (Punching in numbers again) We're taking about a $249 difference here.
Me: Exactly, so just give it to me for $11,750.
Sales Dude: (Grunting) I'll go in there at $11,800 but that is all I can do, really.
Me: Done.

My Dad patting me on the back with a look of shock on his face... "I'm proud of you".

30 minutes later I came out of there with a new car and was darn proud of myself!

I get to pick up my new baby Monday after a weekend with Michael :) Yay!

11 comments:

  1. Good job!! Car Salesmen like to play games and the thing is that they think they are tricky with the upper hand. That's why I hate going to dealerships, it comsumes a lot of time and energy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to haggle girl! Congrats on the car!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Can you teach me how to do that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!!! Congrats on your new car!!!

    I used to have a White 2003 Accord EX w leather coupe and it was my baby - I named her Pearl. After getting to crazy dogs, I decided to trade her in for a new 4Runner but I still think of her often!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you're good! Congrats on the new car! I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow. you're good! i have to let my hubby do the talking, i get too excited and can't hide it...the salesmen see me coming a mile away...

    gigi

    ~ oh, i just about forgot, i left you an award on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to haggle, I need to take you with me the next time I go car shopping.
    I suck at haggling! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm impressed. Congrats on the new car! I don't think I could've done it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails