
Ohhh the memories. So... instead of diving into my "not-so-entertaining dating sitch" that I have going on right now... I've decided to take a walk down memory lane and give you a little insight into how my "love life" all started back-in-the-day. The hormones, the first of the first, the break ups, the breaking of hearts...
So here goes... hold on to your seats...
My interest in the men all started back in the 5th grade (men.. ha!) Wait... pause... Who honestly says that sentence out loud? I am embarrassed, publicly.
Anyhootle... The first boy I actually "liked" was a boy named Sean. I will never forget the day when my best friend Sara came to me and told me that she liked Sean too!
I'll kill her!, I thought to myself. This was the man of my dreams ...clearly, and there she was wripping the rug right out from underneath me.
Sean and I dated for a few weeks, and by dated, I mean dated on the playground Monday through Friday during our recess break. After we ended our few weeks of 5th grade bliss, Sara and Sean started dating! Pcsshh!
I should've known right then how men would be for the next 15 years. It was like God saying, "Amanda, don't you do it... not yet" .... and what did I do? I continued on my love quest... Of course I did! I mean I WAS eleven years old and all, geez.
Victim # 2.... step right up! Kyle... ohhhh Kyle.
He was my first love, and I still believe myself to this day when I say that (I think). I had convinced myself that I was a pro by now in the dating world, obvi.
We were in 7th grade. Rumors were flying that week in the middle school oh-so-important gossip-filled hallways... "Kyle likes you Amanda, he told me", a friend of mine had told me that Friday afternoon. "He's coming tonight and he's going to ask you out!"
Now, let me just give you an idea of what this meant... Kyle was, by far, the Ken doll of all the middle school "men". Best looking, star athlete... and for him... to like me?! Well (cough, cough)... I mean, who wouldn't?!
"What?!" Smiling ear to ear, I knew this was it... the big day, the be-all end-all, this was a day for the books. By now I had liked Kyle for AT LEAST 4 months. Four months in teenage years is a decade if you didn't get the memo.
I remember it perfectly... 7th grade teen canteen. I think I even remember the date (my goodness Amanda).. April 16th? Don't quote me on that, or tell anyone for that matter that I actually remember. I stood there that night in the corner of the gymnasium: aka: lights dimmed, dj booth, 7th grade girls on the prowl for these ever-so-clueless teenage boys barely starting puberty and only concerned about their town sports teams type gymnasium.
With my back turned to him(of course).... My entourage informed me... "He's walking over here Amanda... he's coming to ask you to dance".
And he did... and we danced. To none other than Monica's, "For You I Will".
It wasn't even 2 minutes into the song when he said "So.. do you wanna go out?"
"Haha, yaa".. I replied sheepishly.
"So, I guess we'll have to remember this song, huh" he said.
To a 14 year old girl, those were the sweetest words a boy could've said. He might as well have gotten down on one knee right then and there.
Kyle was my first kiss and at the moment I'm sure I would've said he was my everything too (whata sap I am). We dated for 8 months. And to think I took it seriously! That boy taught me a lot in my young stages of dating. Since he was one of the top athletes of our town, that was where his mind was most of the time. We didn't spend much time together, we didn't even have our license then, so I learned to get by in a relationship without relying on the other person.
I remember coming out of that relationship crushed. My heart broken... and what did I have to show for it besides a few pictures of him and I awkwardly forced to put our arms around each other at recess left on my night table.
The summer went by. We were all getting ready for our freshman year of high school. This was it... a new start, new boys! and an easy out of getting my mind off of Kyle. (Yes, that is what a teenage girl thinks when she enters high school) Clearly, I was going to meet tons of new boys that would spark my interest.... WRONG.
September of my freshman year of high school, Kyle and I started dating again.
Stop judging... So I was hooked! You would've been too if you knew the boy back in the day! We dated for another year. This time around, I was the one doing the dumping... so ha!
I had found an older man. Booyaaa... moving on up! Alright, don't get all excited... he was only a year older and his name was Matt. Matt and my relationship was on the complete different side of the spectrum than Kyle and I.
Had I actually found a guy that enjoyed being with me just as much as I did him? Matt and I dated for a year and change. And guess what came next? Yup! You got it... I broke up with Matt October of my Junior year of high school and Kyle and I started dating again.
It was one of those things where you start dating another guy way too soon (2 weeks after, woops) after you break up with the other dude, and that just results in you not giving yourself enough time to get over the ex! So... there I was, 17 and back where I had been for years... I guess some boys you just can't shake.
Not hard enough at least...
(to be continued...)
So here goes... hold on to your seats...
My interest in the men all started back in the 5th grade (men.. ha!) Wait... pause... Who honestly says that sentence out loud? I am embarrassed, publicly.
Anyhootle... The first boy I actually "liked" was a boy named Sean. I will never forget the day when my best friend Sara came to me and told me that she liked Sean too!
I'll kill her!, I thought to myself. This was the man of my dreams ...clearly, and there she was wripping the rug right out from underneath me.
Sean and I dated for a few weeks, and by dated, I mean dated on the playground Monday through Friday during our recess break. After we ended our few weeks of 5th grade bliss, Sara and Sean started dating! Pcsshh!
I should've known right then how men would be for the next 15 years. It was like God saying, "Amanda, don't you do it... not yet" .... and what did I do? I continued on my love quest... Of course I did! I mean I WAS eleven years old and all, geez.
Victim # 2.... step right up! Kyle... ohhhh Kyle.
He was my first love, and I still believe myself to this day when I say that (I think). I had convinced myself that I was a pro by now in the dating world, obvi.
We were in 7th grade. Rumors were flying that week in the middle school oh-so-important gossip-filled hallways... "Kyle likes you Amanda, he told me", a friend of mine had told me that Friday afternoon. "He's coming tonight and he's going to ask you out!"
Now, let me just give you an idea of what this meant... Kyle was, by far, the Ken doll of all the middle school "men". Best looking, star athlete... and for him... to like me?! Well (cough, cough)... I mean, who wouldn't?!
"What?!" Smiling ear to ear, I knew this was it... the big day, the be-all end-all, this was a day for the books. By now I had liked Kyle for AT LEAST 4 months. Four months in teenage years is a decade if you didn't get the memo.
I remember it perfectly... 7th grade teen canteen. I think I even remember the date (my goodness Amanda).. April 16th? Don't quote me on that, or tell anyone for that matter that I actually remember. I stood there that night in the corner of the gymnasium: aka: lights dimmed, dj booth, 7th grade girls on the prowl for these ever-so-clueless teenage boys barely starting puberty and only concerned about their town sports teams type gymnasium.
With my back turned to him(of course).... My entourage informed me... "He's walking over here Amanda... he's coming to ask you to dance".
And he did... and we danced. To none other than Monica's, "For You I Will".
It wasn't even 2 minutes into the song when he said "So.. do you wanna go out?"
"Haha, yaa".. I replied sheepishly.
"So, I guess we'll have to remember this song, huh" he said.
To a 14 year old girl, those were the sweetest words a boy could've said. He might as well have gotten down on one knee right then and there.
Kyle was my first kiss and at the moment I'm sure I would've said he was my everything too (whata sap I am). We dated for 8 months. And to think I took it seriously! That boy taught me a lot in my young stages of dating. Since he was one of the top athletes of our town, that was where his mind was most of the time. We didn't spend much time together, we didn't even have our license then, so I learned to get by in a relationship without relying on the other person.
I remember coming out of that relationship crushed. My heart broken... and what did I have to show for it besides a few pictures of him and I awkwardly forced to put our arms around each other at recess left on my night table.
The summer went by. We were all getting ready for our freshman year of high school. This was it... a new start, new boys! and an easy out of getting my mind off of Kyle. (Yes, that is what a teenage girl thinks when she enters high school) Clearly, I was going to meet tons of new boys that would spark my interest.... WRONG.
September of my freshman year of high school, Kyle and I started dating again.
Stop judging... So I was hooked! You would've been too if you knew the boy back in the day! We dated for another year. This time around, I was the one doing the dumping... so ha!
I had found an older man. Booyaaa... moving on up! Alright, don't get all excited... he was only a year older and his name was Matt. Matt and my relationship was on the complete different side of the spectrum than Kyle and I.
Had I actually found a guy that enjoyed being with me just as much as I did him? Matt and I dated for a year and change. And guess what came next? Yup! You got it... I broke up with Matt October of my Junior year of high school and Kyle and I started dating again.
It was one of those things where you start dating another guy way too soon (2 weeks after, woops) after you break up with the other dude, and that just results in you not giving yourself enough time to get over the ex! So... there I was, 17 and back where I had been for years... I guess some boys you just can't shake.
Not hard enough at least...
(to be continued...)

This is a hilarious post - I loved it! I remember times like this...
ReplyDelete